In this edition of Cooking with Cannabis, Chef Sebastian Carosi – the short -order cannabis revolutionary – gives The Bluntness his recipe for Cannabis Bacon Fat Peanut Butter Cookies.
As a cannabis enthusiast (aka stoner) and professional chef for over 20 years, I have infused cannabinoids into a tremendous number of things, from high octane alcohols to MCT oil, grape-seed oil, hemp seed oil, creamery butter, coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil. But the most exciting of all the fats I have used to help bind to all of the readily available cannabinoids in cannabis has got to be bacon fat, yup you hear me.
I realize that 99% of the previously mentioned fats and oils are plant-derived but according to an article I read in the June 1st, 2016, issue of High Times Magazine, bacon fat is one of the top three fats to use when extracting those readily available cannabinoids and terpenes found in cannabis.
Over the years I have transformed this super simple, traditional peanut butter cookie recipe that has floated around the family cookie archives for decades to include a couple of full-spectrum cannabis products that will help mellow situations and liven up the conversation at any event. (cannabis tends to do that) Do not skip the light sprinkle of sea salt flakes, it’s a palette-pleasing addition.
1. Preheat an oven to 350°.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a stainless bowl with an electric mixer, beat the bacon fat, peanut butter, peanuts, and sugar until the mixture lightens in color and the mixture becomes creamy. (about 3 to 4 minutes)
3. Add the egg and keep beating until completely incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and the kosher salt.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, mixing until all the ingredients are combined well.
6. Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch around. Place the cookie dough about 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gently press the top of each cookie dough ball with a fork dipped in granulated sugar to make a crisscross pattern.
7. Sprinkle the cookie tops with the sea salt flakes.
8. Bake the cookies for 9 to 10 minutes (this is the perfect time to smoke another joint), or until they are barely browned around the edges. (do not over-bake the cookies. the cookies may appear slightly puffed, but it’s all good, they are all okay.)
9. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
10. Then carefully transfer the dank ‘n delicate cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before devouring.
Need more cannabis-infused cooking inspiration? Here are5 of our Favorite Cannabis Cookbooks to Satisfy Your Weed & Culinary Senses!